Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What I'm Thinking About 2/1

By: Matt


All year long I heard about the greatness of Clay Matthews Jr. and how he was tearing up the NFL week after week. I saw it myself in week 1, and with all the media attention and hype surrounding him I assumed his winning the Defensive Player of the Year award was a foregone conclusion. Yesterday the award went to Pittsburgh Safety Troy Polamalu and my first reaction (one I'm sure I shared with many others) was "CLAY GOT SNUBBED." Then I checked the stats. And then I wondered, why was this guy being touted as the greatest ever in the first place. I am a Clay Matthews fan and believe that he will be an impact defender for years to come, but his numbers this year simply don't back the hype. I don't know that he wasn't deserving of the award, in truth, Polamalu's teammate James Harrison's numbers appear more impressive than both Matthews and Polamalu's. Ultimately, it's not particularly important. The fans still recognize the great year Matthews had, Polamalu is a great player, and a week from now one of these players will be celebrating their winning the big prize and neither will care about the DPOY award any more.


No comments:

Post a Comment